Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Tutorial: Mixed Media Background

Hi everyone, Gina here to share with you a step-by-step for creating a mixed media background. This is a favourite process to use when creating my layouts. You can also use this technique on white card stock or patterned papers but I love the chalky contrast of the white gesso against kraft card stock

To start, I've chosen a small b+w photo and a few possible embellishments and ephemera pieces from the gorgeous Photo Booth main kit


Lightly pencil in the position for your photo and, using a flexible plastic card or palette knife, scrape thin layers of gesso onto the card stock, working in different directions. I prefer do multiple thin layers and add in a few thicker patches, cutting lines into them, with the edge of the card or knife to add lines for texture


Once the gesso is dry (usually only takes about 5 minutes) start adding some colour with distress stains or a similar product. I've used 3 colours here; a gold and two different pinks and I usually blend them around with my fingers a bit


Applying the stain slightly outside the gesso  will result in a more intense colour directly on the card stock. Wipe off excess stain with paper towel, or if you prefer the colour brighter leave as is

I also added some random white splotches with a paint pen


Add a few watercolour splatters in a contrasting colour


Frame the  photo with a piece of patterned paper and tag. A torn edge to the paper is an easy way to add contrast and texture.

Position embellishments, ephemera and title roughly where you want them. I've add some cotton thread under the button and star



Now it's time to stick everything down. I changed the journal tag to a different colour and stamped a phrase onto it


A good quality black felt tip pen is an easy way to add some 'controlled' splatters to your page


Here is the final result (with a couple of graphite scribbles and more stamping under the b+w flowers)




Thanks for stopping by, I hope you're now tempted to have play around with backgrounds sometime using this technique. It's a fun way to customise colours to compliment your papers and embellishments and I can guarantee that every page will be unique! x
Gina

SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment