Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Tuesday Tutorial with Karen - Using an Art Medium - GESSO TECHNIQUE



Hi everyone! Karen here and today I'm sharing a simple tutorial on how I used GESSO to create a subdued background. I created this layout using the January 2017 Scrapbook "Oh Darling" Add-On Kit & the "Pattern Play" paper add-on kit.

I love creating with 12x12 patterned paper however the photos and embellishments can get lost in the background. And then someone invented GESSO - how lucky! I like to think of this art medium as a blank canvas, because technically its giving you a chance to 'rub' out some of that background. 

Hint: do not use too much GESSO, start off with a small amount & work your way to more. I use make-up sponges to work with GESSO rather than a brush, it gives it leaves a great texture on the paper. Spread it out across the patterned paper & then wait until it dries, which really isn't that long.


Once dried you then can start adding your layers, photo & embellishments. For this layout I used more GESSO to create an area to stamp on to. I think it turned out great. GESSO is really easy to stamp on. 


I also added a smaller amount of GESSO to the bottom of the page where I planned to add embellishments. I loved how it turned out.


Watch the video below to see more details on how this layout and technique came together.



I hope I've inspired you to try something new.
Karen xx








No comments:

Post a Comment